Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Playing with pastry =D


My dad has a friend. That friend works in a company that makes frozen pastry. Well, from what I heard, they have lots of wastage everyday because of quality checks. They pick out a few each day, and check for quality. Those that are picked out aren't sold. Normally, they're thrown away. But somehow, today, some blocks and sheets of these found their way to us, thanks to my dad's friend.


Yay for that! We have frozen puff pastry, both the ready rolled kind and the whole block kind. You know what that means in my house? Beef wellington!


And even better than that.... Playing with the pastry dough =D

As the years went by, I've progressed from play dough, to bread dough, to pastry dough.

My dad rolling the pastry for his beef wellington

I must say, this pastry dough is really a pain to work with. It softens to quickly that I have to return it to the freezer every free minutes. Damn you, Singapore weather! But nevertheless, I managed to form pretty shapes with the puff pastry. Let's see how they turn out after baking!



I would certainly recommend you make your own pastry dough if you have the time. From scratch baking is what's fun, right? But then, if you don't have the time, frozen pastry dough works as well. And most of the time, people can't tell the difference (there is a difference).

Another few things we made...

Two squares of puff pastry stacked with whipped cream and raspberries

Twisted cinnamon wreaths

I would say we really went overboard with the puff pastry tonight, finishing the entire block. I don't even dare to think of the calories. But nevermind, it was fun, it was good.

The cinnamon wreaths, especially, were glorious. With the exception of the fact that I forgot to brush it with egg wash, hence the dull, dry colour.

Here's the recipe... quick, simple, delicious.

Twisted cinnamon wreaths
Ingredients:
One rectangle of ready rolled puff pastry, about 1/8 inch thick

1 tbsp cinnamon powder
2 tbsp sugar

1 egg, beaten

Method:
1.Whisk together cinnamon and sugar.

2. Sprinkle over the pastry and roll up the long side.

3. Cut the roll lengthwise into 2 halves.

4. Pinch the top together. Twist the 2 halves together, keeping the cut side exposed.

5. Pinch the 2 ends together into a circle.

6. Brush with egg wash.

7. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on you puff pastry, until golden brown.

I apologise greatly for the lack of in-progress pictures. I didn't know I was going to make this until I did. But you can refer here for the method of shaping and twisting the dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...