Saturday, December 7, 2013

Caramel Vanilla Wafer Ice Cream Cake

I remember the first time I had an ice cream cake as clearly as I do yesterday. It was at a friend’s birthday party and I was less than 10 years old.


At that time, the novelty of an ice cream cake, to me, was not its frozen nature but the dry ice that came with it. It was pretty fantastic actually, to watch the adults open the box and see smoke rise. And amazingly enough, the smoke wasn’t hot for once – it was cold.

I would poke at the rocks of dry ice like they were foreign gemstones, not daring to place my finger on it long. My mum had said it would burn. That was curious to me. After all, how could something cold burn?


It wasn’t long before I learnt to play with the dry ice. When the smoke had dissipated, my friends and I would blow at it, or drop it in water to create more smoke. Sometimes we’d drop the dry ice into water to get cold water, though on hindsight, that might have been a very bad idea.

Every time, we would drag a coin across the surface of a piece of the dry ice to create a high pitched, screeching noise. Perhaps it was amusing at that time, but now, I wince whenever I hear it.


I can’t provide you with dry ice, but perhaps if you make this ice cream cake it will bring back some childish and happy memories =)

Caramel Vanilla Ice Cream Cake
Ingredients:
1 batch caramel cake (recipe below)
1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
8 Loacker vanilla wafers (any similar brand will work as well)

Method:
1.      Line a 8x4 inch or 10x20cm baking tin or mold with plastic wrap.
2.      Cut the caramel cake into the following sizes:
-        10x20cm OR 8x4inch (2 piece)
-        7x20cm OR 8x3inch (2 pieces)
3.      Press one one of the bigger pieces on the bottom of the mold.
4.      Press the two smaller pieces on the long sides.
5.      Spread half the vanilla ice cream evenly onto the cake.
6.      Place wafers over the ice cream.
7.      Spread the rest of the ice cream over the wafers.
8.      Place the last piece of cake on the ice cream.
9.      Wrap with plastic wrap.
10.    Freeze for 4-6 hours, or until firm.
11.    Cut in slices and serve frozen.

Caramel Cake
Ingredients:
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon / 2.5oz / 70g butter
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon / 4.5oz / 140g sugar

1/4 cup / 60ml caramel syrup (recipe below)
60g / 1 egg

1 cup + 1 tablespoon / 4.5oz / 140g plain flour
1 tsp / 4g baking power
1/4 tsp / 2g salt

1/2 cup / 118ml / 118g milk

Method:
  1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Line a 30x20cm sheet pan with parchment paper.
  3. Cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy.
  4. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  5. Whisk in egg and caramel syrup.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the flour mixture.
  7. Whisk in 1/2 of the milk.
  8. Fold in another 1/3 of the flour mixture.
  9. Whisk in the rest of the milk.
  10. Fold in the rest of the flour mixture.
  11. Scrap onto the prepared sheet pan.
  12. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes, or until a skewer poked in the centre comes out clean.
  13. Remove from the oven and cool completely.

Caramel Syrup
Ingredients:
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp / 75g sugar
3/4 cup / 180ml / 180g water

1/4 cup / 60ml/ 60g water

Method:
  1. Combine sugar and 3/4 cup of water and cook till a deep amber colour. Do not stir or swirl the      pan.
  2. Remove from heat and whisk in the 1/4 cup water.
  3. Cool completely.

Like Little Accidents in the Kitchen on Facebook and I will like you if you do =)
Follow me on twitter for updates and some odd bits of me.
Follow me on instagram to see snapshots of everything and anything (and updates!)
Follow me on pinterest if you desire an overload of deliciousness.

Any other social media you'd like to see me on?


8 comments:

  1. mmmm looks so delicious!!! :)
    www.fashionphases.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious dessert, we would just love this! Hope you have a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely pinning this! Great recipe =D

    I'm having a big sale on my Blog Design store (themes, logos, etc): 35% OFF, only until Dec 31st! If you want to start 2014 with a design makeover, this is your chance!
    - Link: http://gloriah.storenvy.com

    I also offer other services, like building slideshows - Don's hesitate to contact me and tell me what you want =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really glad you like it and thanks for pinning! :)

      Love the blog designs but I've already contracted another web designer for my blog >< I'll keep you in mind if I ever need a redesign, yea?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...