Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Monday, May 19, 2014

Gingerbread Black Tea Panna Cotta

My intention was to post a honey pear cake that was due months ago, but then I realized that the last 3 posts were cakes. So yet another cake might not be so appealing to you.


How that cake got pushed so far back (and with this post, even further back), has very valid reasons – reasons that, likely, would appeal to all you readers out there. You see, before I could post the honey pear cake, I made more stuff that I just had to let you guys know about. Like the red velvet cheesecake cake. Like that blackberry cheesecake. Like those lemon blueberry cookies.

Like this gingerbread black tea panna cotta.


So, why I decided to push that back wasn’t just a matter of having too many cake posts, but also a matter of ‘this is so good it has to cut to the front of the queue!!’

I’ve always loved tea. The problem was always that I could not put enough of the tea flavour into most of my desserts.  I never thought that maybe I was just targeting the wrong kind of desserts. How much tea flavour could you hope to put into cake or cookies, with all the flour, eggs and sugar going into it? Especially when the only ingredient you can infuse flavour into is butter.


It was only recently that I realized I should probably have targeting a dessert made with mostly an ingredient that I could steep the tea in: milk. Or cream. And that’s how I got to this panna cotta.


The fragrance upon boiling and steeping the tea leaves in the milk and cream was almost mystifying. I’m telling you now, use only the best of the best tea leaves. The flavour of your panna cotta depends on it. I can say that safely because the richness has been taken care of by the cream, the perfect, jiggly texture has been taken care of by the gelatin and the sweetness has been taken care of by the cream.


Just follow the recipe and you’ll know that how good your panna cotta turns out depends on how good the tea leaves are, ceteris paribus.

And now you also know that I’m being driven mad by economics.

Ingredients:
3 cups cream
1 cup milk
¼ cup Gryphon Gingerbread Black Tea leaves (or any other tea you think would work)

5 teaspoons unflavoured gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water

¾ cup granulated sugar

Method:
1.      Combine cream, milk and tea in a saucepan.
2.      Bring to a boil.
3.      Remove from heat.
4.      Cover almost completely and let it steep for 1 hour.
5.      Once the hour is over, sprinkle gelatin over cold water.
6.      Whisk together and allow to bloom for about 10 minutes.
7.      Strain the infused cream and milk. Discard the tea leaves.
8.      Combine infused milk and cream with bloomed gelatin and sugar in a clean saucepan.
9.      Heat over medium heat until gelatin and sugar have dissolved completely. DO NOT let it come to a boil.
10.   Strain into the molds/glasses/ramekins/bowls you want to set your panna cotta in.
11.   Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
12.   Serve cold.


Random footnote: ceteris paribus means all other things held constant

2 comments:

  1. Excellent job on the creation! Well balanced tea flavour with just the right amount of jigginess.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...